The rural town Goombungee is situated in the eastern Darling Downs, 110 km north-west of central Brisbane and 35 km north-west of Toowoomba. THe Goombungee name was derived from the Goombungee pastoral run, taken up by Charles Pitts in 1847, east of Rosalie Plains.
Part of the Goombungee run's 16,000 ha was resumed in 1874 and a township reserve was gazetted in 1885. Surveyed town blocks were offered for sale in 1888. A school was opened in 1881, shortly after the formation of a progress association. The association organised the building of a public hall (1893).
Goombungee area was substantially cleared by the 1908, with the numerous farms concentrating on dairying and fodder crops. There were two dairy factories, one in the township, and the larger of them producing both cheese (2.5 ton/week) and butter (8 ton/week) by the 1920s.
A railway line through Goombungee, from Kingsthorpe to Haden, was opened in 1910. There were also numerous civic and business facilities: Lutheran (1890), Catholic (1902), Methodist (1903), Congregational (1903) and Anglican (1908) churches, a Show society (1907), four hotels, a hospital and several shopkeepers and tradespeople.
Goombungee has a local shopping centre consisting of a local shop, doctor, chemist, real estate agent, hair dresser, Toowoomba Regional Council Office and Depot, Library, Art Gallery and antique store, post office. Facilities in the town include the Goombungee-Haden showgrounds, primary school, golf club, Guides Australia, public hall, four churches, kindergarten, historical society, hotel, police station, fire station and SES.
There are also several local companies and businesses including Aherns M&S Sheds & Silos, Leichts CIA , Linmac Automotive/Air conditioning and Goombungee Motors.